Payne’s Farm & Hotel
On the main railway line from Durban to Johannesburg, Glencoe Junction was an important town for the Boer forces.
Their generals were all quartered here during the Natal campaign and Russian, German and Swedish hospitals as well as a number of first aid posts were set up here to handle Boer casualties.
The Russian hospital was based on the property now known as Payne’s farm, as it had been built along with 2 other buildings by Mr Payne in 1898.
This particular hospital handled over 1,000 patients a day and then sent them to the main hospital in Newcastle.
Mr Payne had arrived from Cornwall in 1880 and settled in Glencoe Junction in 1889, first rented and then purchased Glencoe farm.
The hotel which he built, originally had accommodation for 10 guests, billiard, dining and sitting rooms and hot and cold baths. It was the only hotel in Glencoe for many years.
He also had the local store and all three buildings were in close proximity to each other.
Today the hospital building is a private home and the hotel has been converted into the Ayran Benevolent Aged Home.