The church was designed by Gerard Moerdyk and completed in 1922.
On the clock tower of this building is an impressive Anton von Wouw sculpture and plaque commemorating the Boers who fell in the battle of Talana.
Although these men were originally buried on the top of Talana hill, their remains were reinterred under the clock tower in 1929.
In the garden near this memorial, is a concrete slab, in which are etched the marks of the wagon wheels from the wagons of the 1938 centenary trek as they made their way through Dundee and on to the site of the battle of Blood River/Ncome.
By 1908 the Ermelo church was too small and the Methodist church in Gray Street was bought. This very soon also became too small and an agreement was reached with the Methodists that they would swop services for “nagmaal” services and would have the use of the new Methodist church.
In 1917 Dundee became a congregation in its own right. The need for a larger church was becoming very apparent and in 1919 it was agreed to raise funds to build a new church.
The first architect’s plans proved too expensive and in 1921 plans by Gerard Moerdyk were accepted and work begun on a church to seat 750 people at a cost of R21,298.
His design for this church was formed the basis for every other Dutch reformed church that he designed in South Africa.
The property on the corner of Willson and Beaconsfield was bought from Mrs Willson.
The inauguration of the church was held from 7-10 December 1922.
In 1929 the Anton Von Wouw relief on the church tower was unveiled. This commemorates the battle of Talana and the suffering of the women. The human remains of the burgers, originally buried on the top of Talana hill, were exhumed and reinterred under the clock tower.
In 1963 the magnificent pipe organ was used for the first time.